For my personal fitness, it's just as disappointing to skip a work out as it is to have a mediocre one. To me, it's a waste of time to half ass a workout. If I'm expecting amazing results, I need to give my MAX effort through the ENTIRE exercise. It doesn't matter if theres 30 minutes left or 2 minutes left. It doesn't matter if I had already burned X amount of calories that day or ate really healthy. If I'm going to carve 30 minutes out of my day I'm going to SHOW UP and give it EVERYTHING I've got. So here's what I do in order to do that:
1) Fuel.There's nothing worse than feeling hungry and drained during a workout. My motivation goes out the window the second my stomach growls. I typically workout in the mornings so I have 1 piece of peanut butter toast and a glass of preworkout about 20-30 minutes prior to starting.
2) I know when my workout is going to take place so there are no other distractions happening at that time. My phone is put away, the dog is outside, my Facebook is logged off. This is my time. I don't let anything take away from putting in work to achieve my goals.
3) MENTAL. Everyone's heard the saying "YOUR MIND QUITS BEFORE YOUR BODY DOES" and it's so true. Try doing something relatively hard while telling yourself "I can't do it, I'm not gonna make it, this hurts." Your body will quit! I talk myself through each and every moment of my workouts. Sometimes out loud, sometimes in my head. I tell myself how many minutes are left, I tell myself to PUSH, I picture my goals in my head and I BUST MY ASS through the workout because I know I'm capable.
4) Goals. What are you doing this for? If you don't have a reason there will be minimal motivation to show up every day and to give MAX effort.
5) Music. An amazing playlist gives me that extra boost. It's crazy how motivating a song can be! Find yours, pick a genre or an artist and press play!
6) Picture your favorite celebrity trainer right next to you. Don't you want to impress them? I'm meeting Autumn Calabrese in 20 days... she's the 21 Day Fix/Extreme trainer I've been following in my workouts for the past 7 months. I'M MEETING AUTUMN CALABRESE!! I get to stand next to her and take a picture.. my abs better be on point. So you betchya this is my motivation! Is Jillian Michaels in the room with you? Tony Horton or Shaun T?