There’s nothing harder than living in and around unhealthy lifestyles. Overcoming temptations is a practice that takes time and an extremely decisive, determined mindset. Whether you’re new on your fitness journey or you’ve been healthy and active for a long time, we all experience temptations and give into them once in a while. The most important thing about creating a healthy active lifestyle for yourself is the LIFESTYLE aspect of the journey. We want to enjoy life’s temptations, guilty pleasures and sweet treats. There’s no reason not to. We just want to do it on our terms, on a day we have set, and have control over the amount we allow ourselves. This can be extremely difficult to grasp if you live in a household or you’re constantly exposed to an environment where people are unhealthy, unsupportive, and tempting you constantly. Here are a few of my tips to position yourself to have success in overcoming the temptations you’re exposed to daily.
1. Set one date night a month with your significant other or roommate where you can spend time indulging in ONE not-so-healthy meal together.
2. Do separate shopping trips or grab your own cart.
3. On Sunday’s spend time together searching through Pinterest for a few of your significant others favorite meals. If you type in Healthy Pizza you can find an abundance of recipes turning his/her unhealthy meals into one that fits your new lifestyle.
4. Separate your food. Put your groceries in your own cupboard or drawer in the fridge. This is more about not seeing her food then it is about being “separate.” Seeing the unhealthy options and having your food mixed in will tempt you.
5. Share your goals with your roommate or significant other. This will help he or she be more involved and understand why you’re starting this new lifestyle.
6. Share with them how they can help and support you. Help he or she understand that you would appreciate them not asking you to order pizza or bring home takeout unless it’s on the designated date night.
7. Ask them to do it with you! Explain how you would feel supported and more motivated to reach your goals if they participated. Most often they’ll join you, in certain situations they won’t.. if this happens refer to 1-6.
8. Write down your meal plan and paste it on the fridge. Having a set plan for your meals will help you avoid grabbing the quick unhealthy options.
Remember, we all experience these temptations, and I don’t believe we will ever fully have control over them. We are all human and we stuff our faces sometimes and over indulge. For myself, It has been super beneficial following these tips I have just presented as well as having a clear goal and vision for my future that motivates me to stay on track.